We translate your employee's salary into an hourly rate so that we can calculate sick and vacation accruals.
In some circumstances, you might want to adjust pay for a salaried employee by reducing the hours for a pay period (for example, if the employee starts a job in the middle of a week or takes unpaid leave).
To reduce the number of hours for one pay period:
- Hover of "Payroll"
- Select "Enter Payroll"
- Input worked hours in the "Reg Hours" column
- Example: For a salaried employee that is paid two weeks, ordinarily the calculation would be performed on 80 hours BUT, if that employee only worked 3 days of the pay period you would input 24 hours (8 hours * 3 days = 24 hours)
- Continue with the rest of payroll input as normal
- Go to the Payday tab
- In the Check Details column, click the paycheck icon next to the employee's name (it looks like a check with a pencil).
- In the "Create Paycheck" window that appears:
- Enter the reduced number of hours to use for this paycheck (for example, For 3 days of work, 3 days * 8 hours = 24 hours).
- Make any adjustments for "Additional Pay Types"
- Override Federal & State Withholdings (uncommon)
- In the memo field, include any explanation you feel is appropriate.
- Click Create to create the paycheck using the number of hours you entered.
- Return to the Create Paychecks page to continue entering payroll for other employees.